Post my 3.34 hour FM run in SCMM
2014, I have not blogged on my running. Two years is a long period! Isn’t this
the FB world in any case! :-) SCMM 2015 was eventful to me but was pretty much low key. A 3.24 showing in a
FM is a reasonable outcome many would say.
Year 2015 has been fast and
exciting in multiple ways. I started running in December 2011 and I have always
felt that your training over a period of years starts showing up at some time.
The first question many people
ask me is which club or group I belong to. (ie if people know that I run:-)) While it is
sufficiently blasphemous to tell people that I do not get coached, it sometimes
gets even more terrible when I say that most of the time I train alone. This is
obviously not the best thing to do, but in my case it fits in well since I
train at my time, pace and place. At the same time, I am great votary of
learning from the best in the game including the runners and coaches I see
around. In that sense I am always on the Eklavya mode:-)
But I realised early in 2015 that
if I have to improve I need to start running and training with better runners.
Since not many “free” runners are around, this becomes difficult. Initially I
took the races to bench mark myself against the better runners, but in the
second half I have been fortunate to go on training runs with some really good
and knowledgeable runners.
It is also important to do well
in half marathons to develop into a good full marathon runner. Hence in the
previous year a lot of stress was put on doing well in those smaller distances.
To reduce the timing from a 1.37 hr to a 1.29 hr in 6-8 months seems difficult,
but I believe this is where your previous training plays a role.
And on November 15, 2015 I
surprised myself becoming a winner in a full marathon with a timing of 3.14
hours. Again reducing the FM by 10 minutes within 10 months, is something which
appeared impossible to me, but it did happen. As it should have ended, to bring
reasonability into the year, I did a DNF at SCMM 2016. At the end, it is only a
run!
In all this, another important
leg has been nutrition. While a lot of people rely on water and natural food,
being a poor eater, vegetarian and not the strong kid right from childhood, I
have always relied on products which can make me healthier. In that sense I
believe we need to be flexible.
Sometimes in half jest people,
surprised by some of my performances (in our limited context), do ask tricky
questions on nutrition and the like. As I used to grow up, I used to see kids
who were more muscular, who probably thrived on meat and able to bowl fast or
hit those sixes straight behind the bowler. It would have been futile to sit
back and attribute those capabilities to what they ate or the bat they
possessed!:-) So the key idea was to develop different skill sets which suited my own
approach. And I developed into a batsman who relied on patiently taking those
singles and occasional boundaries; a spinner who could bowl all day long
waiting for the batsman to make mistakes etc. Running is no different. There
are no magic potions or coaches!!
Finally timings are going to
improve for everyone as training from an overall perspective keeps getting
better. Some timings which as amateurs we used to hold in awe a few years back
will no longer be the golden standard! There are some amazing people who are
pushing the bar for all of us and we should pray that they keep doing it!

You will get back strong! Wish you all the very best!
ReplyDeleteThanks Sankara!
ReplyDeleteYou will get back strong! Wish you all the very best!
ReplyDeleteKeep running !! Several of us look up to you !
ReplyDeleteThanks!
DeleteKeep running !! Several of us look up to you !
ReplyDeleteWonderful to read this vira. I think you have the responsibility to write more often and help others. Your experience sounds more like 'karmanyae vadhikarathe ma phaleahu kadachana'...did I get it right?
ReplyDeleteSanjay, yes indeed... Need to write more often from my own perspective as well. Gives quite a bit of satisfaction putting words to thoughts:-)
DeleteKeep running mate. I definitely look at you for some inspiration
ReplyDeleteKeep running mate. I definitely look at you for some inspiration
ReplyDeleteThanks Vinay!
DeleteBeautiful writing Vijayaraghavan. As I wrote on your fb post. . Your best is yet to come. Good luck
ReplyDeleteThanks Murali!
DeleteEkalvya mode and raising the bar consistently. ��
ReplyDeleteKeep running and keep writing mate. It inspires me.
Thanks Jassa! Good there were some learnings for u!
ReplyDelete